Re: Packaging perl applications

Julian Mehnle wrote:
> I wasn't so much asking for sponsorship rather than whether Perl apps on
> CPAN are generally considered "out" no matter their complexity?  I.e., if
> it does have a "bin/" dir, it's out?  Or what will the criteria be?

I hope not, I'd like to upload Perl::Critic soon. :-)

FWIW, Perl::Critic has a perlcritic script that many people will use. It
also can hook into Test::More, or be used in other ways as a library
though. Oh and it's pretty handy, but don't take all its suggestions
seriously. :-)

It seems somehow right for this package to be maintained by the perl
group, while it doesn't seem for for say, ikiwiki to be maintained
there. At a high level, there's not a lot of difference between their
code. Both packages have extensive perl libraries that do most of the
work, and both libraries can be used by other stuff, including by plugin
libraries that extend the core package. Both have a small frontend
script that most people will use. Indeed, the ikiwiki script is only 149
lines to perlcritic's 1379.

Being in cpan is a good criteria, but then ikiwiki isn't in cpan for the
same subjective reasons that I didn't package it as a perl module
package. I think in the end it comes down to that subjective reason --
it's ikiwiki, not Wiki::Iki; the implementation language is essentially
arbitrary. OTOH with Perl::Critic, it seems to want to be a perl library
first, and convenience script second.

--
see shy jo