Re: RFS: libauthen-simple-kerberos-perl, closes: #434772

On 22:25 Mon 30 Jul     , Russ Allbery wrote:
> Damyan Ivanov <dam@modsoftsys.com> writes:
>
> > I'd say that the explanations both in changelog and README.Debian are a
> > little bit "around the problem".

After re-reading it, I think so to.. ;)
I should not commit things so late in the night when Im tired

> > What is the cause for the slow connection? How does krd5-config
> > (/etc/krb5.conf) help? What are the "right settings"?

I have ask the bug submitter and what he mean for the right settings is:
setting the right default_realm and its corresponding kdc server. This config
file is very small and should be understandable. Moreover a template can be
found in /usr/share/kerberos-configs/krb5.conf.template
I have updated the README.Debian with the informations about setting in the
/etc/krb5.conf the right default_realm and its corresponding kdc server

> > If it is not clear to you (it is not to me), you can always ask the bug
> > submitter, who seems to have a lot of experience in the area.
>
> In general, if you're using Kerberos software, you want to have
> krb5-config installed.  It used to be that Kerberos wouldn't work at all
> in the absence of a krb5.conf file.  Now, it can, but it means that you're
> relying on DNS records for all of your Kerberos configuration and things
> like the local realm of the machine are determined by algorithms that
> often don't apply or produce the wrong results.  Plus, relying on DNS or
> on the machine's hostname to determine the local realm is not recommended
> for a variety of reasons, including security, so installing krb5-config
> (which prompts for your local realm and KDC information) is usually the
> right thing to do.
>
> I think Recommends might be better than Suggests, even.  The only reason
> why I'm hesitant to say that, or to suggest Depends, is for cases where
> this module is pulled in by other dependencies on a system that doesn't
> actually use Kerberos and for which the krb5-config debconf questions
> would be meaningless.

Ok, I change it to Recommends. I have re-read the debian policy and it seems
that Recommends is more relevant here.

Can someone have a look again ?

Thanks !!
--