Re: Maintainer field

On Tue, 29 May 2007 21:39:21 -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:

> > > libuser-simple-perl
> > > Maintainer: Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@debian.org>
> > Gunnar, Alexis, Kjetil - could you please comment on the idea of
> > having the Maintainer field set to the DPG for these packages (and
> > maybe on the status of the not uploaded package while we're at it
> > ;-))
> Yes, of course - I prefer all of my Perl packages to be
> comaintained. I am the upstream author for this one, and maybe I
> didn't check when I originally uploaded this to the group's SVN? But
> yes, please make it maintained by the group.

Great, thanks!

I've committed the change now.

On Wed, 30 May 2007 07:55:17 +0200, Alexis Sukrieh wrote:

>>libnet-lite-ftp-perl
>>libnet-amazon-s3-perl
>>libxml-libxml-xpathcontext-perl
>>liblogger-syslog-perl

> I'm perfectly OK with the idea of letting the team hold the
> Maintainer place for these packages.

Cool, I've committed these changes, too.
(BTW: Why is liblogger-syslog-perl 1.1-1 not yet uploaded?)

> I did upload the packages a couple of months ago, but they didn't
> pass the NEW queue because of the name of libxml-libxml-xpath.
> After a discussion with the FTP masters, we went through an
> agreement. I was then in a lack of free time, on the freeze came.
>
> I was also told that libxml-libxml-xpath will be (when ?) included
> in libxml-perl. I don't know the current status of that.

Alright, I guess we can leave the status quo until someone finds out
anything new.

> Moreover, I was needing those libraries for backup-manager, but in
> the next upstream release of backup-manager, the Amazon S3 support
> will be completely rewritten, and I won't need
> libnet-amazon-s3-perl anymore.
> As far as I know I'm the only maintainer that needs that Perl
> module for satisfying a package dependency.

Do you still plan to upload libnet-amazon-s3-perl or do you think
it's generally useless?

On Wed, 30 May 2007 09:36:38 +0200, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

> Yes, I entered some packages into the repository without being a
> DD.

That's what many of us do ;-)

> But I guess, by having them in SVN, small incremental changes can
> be done as time allows by the whole group, so that one day they may
> be released. That's all, really... :-) Well, also, I think I
> entered a package I needed at work.

Sure, that's fine for me (as long as the packages in the repository
are there for being maintained by us and are prepared to be uploaded
to the Debian archive eventually); I was just wondering about
packages that are 1) (by debian/control) not maintained by the group
and 2) not uploaded to the archive (yet).

What about these two:

| libidna-punycode-perl
| Maintainer: Kjetil Kjernsmo (Work key) <kjetilk@opera.com>
| (not in the archive)
|
| libwordnet-querydata-perl
| Maintainer: Kjetil Kjernsmo (Work key) <kjetilk@opera.com>
| (not in the archive)

Are they ready for upload? Do they need more work? Something else?

On Wed, 30 May 2007 09:56:33 +0200, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 May 2007 21:16, gregor herrmann wrote:

> > If so I'll move it to attic/ - unless Neil joins our friendly group
> > of course ;-)
> Uh, right, sorry, your message ended up in my spam folder. For some
> reason a lot of the email here is grabbed by Razor:
>   RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_E8_51_100,RAZOR2_CHECK,SPF_PASS autolearn=disabled
>   version=3.1.7

Oops, that's nasty.

> Anyway, yes, I injected it, with the hope that I could have enough time
> to bring it to shape and that someone would adopt it. I did mention it
> to the group, didn't I? Real world constraints are brutal some times...
> I never got enough time, but Neil adopted it anyway, so all is
> good! :-)

Yup, we've finally sorted it out ;-)

> I leave it all up to you to make the policy decisions here, I just try
> to be useful when I can, so please do whatever you like to these
> packages!

Well, at the moment it's less about policy and more about dealing
with my confusion :-)

Thanks to all of you!

 : :' :  debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    NP: Supertramp: Rudy