Re: Reworking on our organization - Look at the Ruby neighbours!

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> 2. ruby-pkg-tools includes a list of the group members [2],
>    /usr/share/ruby-pkg-tools/pkg-ruby-extras.team - Why? Because,
>    instead of having the mess we currently have, where each of us adds
>    his email to the Uploaders: field of each package's debian/control,
>    debian/control is built with the name of each of the maintainers.

No, no, no. Having people listed in the Uploaders that never even touched
the package is a no-no for me. I like the dynamic Uploaders field where
one add himself when working on the package.

Why would you want to list everybody on all packages ? The only reason I
can see is to have all the packages listed in your personal summary
(qa.debian.org/developer.php) but I see no point in that since there's
already the page of the group:
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=pkg-perl-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org

On the contrary I want to keep my personal page limited to packages I
really maintain (even those within the team, like libdbd-pg-perl) and
when I have extra time that I choose to dedicate to the pkg-perl group
(which doesn't happen often :-() I can then go to the group page above.

> 3. CDBS classes [3]. I'm still uncertain about this one, but all in
>    all, it makes sense. Most of our makefiles are just the same over
>    and over. When we have done changes to our build process
>    (i.e. replacing the -$(MAKE) distlean with the conditional
>    variant), it has been quite an invasive and error-prone
>    approach. Too many ways of doing very similar things (yes, like the
>    Perl motto - but still, I don't see much benefit with the current
>    situation). Of course, you are all familiar with my error-fixing
>    extra commits (BTW, just not to break tradition, it took me _six_
>    commits to get my name added to pkg-ruby-extras.team ;-) ). I do
>    not like CDBS too much, but it is greatly because I have not used
>    it much, and it's harder to debug something you are not familiar
>    with. Probably we should build a couple of CDBS classes for all of
>    our packages, and do away with our individual makefiles.

A CDBS class for perl modules already exist AFAIK. CDBS even make sense
in our case since most packages are very similar. But I'm not a big CDBS
fan in general.

> 4. A simple, automatic way to get the upstream sources [4]. You don't
>    have to manually fiddle with creating build-area, putting and
>    renaming the orig.tar.gz there. It's automatable. And, hey - If
>    debian/watch has the information, if uscan can check if there are
>    new versions, why must we do it manually? Well, there must be a
>    reason not to rely on debian/watch for everything - They have a
>    YAML file in their SVN describing where are the sources for each
>    package.

What are those reasons ?

Raphaël Hertzog