Short vs. "debian_version_..." tag names; The various tagging methods

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Gunnar Wolf writes:
> > Russ Allbery wrote:
> > > Oh, speaking of the Subversion guide, it also contradicts itself
> > > about how releases should be tagged.  In one place it says to use
> > > debian_version tags, but in another place it says that
> > > svn-buildpackage --svn-tag should be used.  The latter just creates a
> > > tag equal to the version number, without the debian_version
> > > prepended.
> > >
> > > I'd rather go with the svn-buildpackage behavior; the debian_version
> > > part of the tag name never seemed that useful.  But we should
> > > probably clarify it one way or the other (and a bunch of the packages
> > > I've uploaded have the svn-buildpackage tags from before I noticed
> > > that difference).

It seems that no one really has any objections to using the short tag and
branch names, which are also produced by `svn-buildpackage --svn-tag` and
`svn-upgrade`.  And in fact I had s/debian_version_([\d.]+)/$1/g'ed during
my clean-up of the Subversion guide last month already.

> [...]  You can [create tags _after_ building] with svn-buildpackage by
> using svn-buildpackage --svn-tag --svn-tag-only as the last step.

Exactly.  I just broke section 5, "Tagging and Releasing", down into...
  5.1 Automatic tagging using svn-buildpackage
  5.2 Manual tagging
  5.3 Working with tags
...and explained in section 5.1 explicitly how to use `svn-buildpackage` to
create tags, including the "--svn-tag-only" form for post-build tagging.[1]

> > In fact, I also don't follow the instructions to the letter - What I
> > prefer doing is (as it's incredibly shorter) "svn copy trunk
> > tags/debian_version_x_y-z"
>
> You can only do that if you have a complete checkout of the tree
> including all of the tags, right?  That's more disk space than I really
> want to devote to things that I'm never going to look at.

No, you don't have to have all the tags checked out for that to work.  You
can check out the tags/ directory non-recursively using `svn co -N tags`
and then do the tagging locally.

But you're right, `svn-buildpackage --svn-tag --svn-tag-only` probably is
the best way for tagging the HEAD revision.

> It looks like eloy has been using svn-buildpackage --svn-tag as well, so
> there are a bunch of tags in the repository now that use the short
> svn-buildpackage form.  I just want to standardize (or decide that we
> don't have to standardize) so that I can either go back to using
> svn-buildpackage without worrying about it or [...]

Let's just use the short tag names.

Julian.