Re: libmail-spf-query-perl 1.999-1 prepared for upload

Sorry to have left this sitting for so long.  I got sidetracked by other
work for quite a while.

Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery dijo [Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 11:54:15AM -0800]:

>> Oh, speaking of the Subversion guide, it also contradicts itself about
>> how releases should be tagged.  In one place it says to use
>> debian_version tags, but in another place it says that svn-buildpackage
>> --svn-tag should be used.  The latter just creates a tag equal to the
>> version number, without the debian_version prepended.

>> I'd rather go with the svn-buildpackage behavior; the debian_version
>> part of the tag name never seemed that useful.  But we should probably
>> clarify it one way or the other (and a bunch of the packages I've
>> uploaded have the svn-buildpackage tags from before I noticed that
>> difference).

> Hmh... Here, I'd go the other way - Yes, maybe I'm sloppy, but I often
> build thinking I'm done, then go check the package is properly built,
> lintian-clean, yada yada, and go back to do some changes. Of course, I
> _only_ tag as the step after sending the built package to ftp-master.

That's certainly good procedure (although since this is all in a version
control system, it's easy to move the tag if you put it in the wrong
place), but I'm not sure how this is that relevant to how to name the
releases.  You can use exactly the same procedure with svn-buildpackage
by using svn-buildpackage --svn-tag --svn-tag-only as the last step.

> In fact, I also don't follow the instructions to the letter - What I
> prefer doing is (as it's incredibly shorter) "svn copy trunk
> tags/debian_version_x_y-z"

You can only do that if you have a complete checkout of the tree including
all of the tags, right?  That's more disk space than I really want to
devote to things that I'm never going to look at.

The problem I have with manual tagging is that the URLs are huge and I
have to either write little scripts for myself or remember the right
syntax.  I can write a few little scripts, but it's not clear why that's a
good idea when svn-buildpackage already exists and we use it for
everything else.

I don't really care about what the name of the tag is; I just want to be
able to use tools so that I don't accidentally make mistakes that the
tools would have automated away, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get
svn-buildpackage to use a different tag naming convention (easily, at
least).

It looks like eloy has been using svn-buildpackage --svn-tag as well, so
there are a bunch of tags in the repository now that use the short
svn-buildpackage form.  I just want to standardize (or decide that we
don't have to standardize) so that I can either go back to using
svn-buildpackage without worrying about it or write some tagging tools for
myself and start trying to teach myself to use them instead of
svn-buildpackage.  :)