[RFC] Provide a more generic data validation for debconf

Hello

I plan to upload to CPAN a new set of modules (named Config::Model)
that provide a functionality that may be interesting to debconf.

Currently, debian configuration is done with a script (e.g.
xserver-xorg.config) which uses debconf. This scripts performs a lot
of semantic validation of configuration data and ends up being quite
complex (2500 lines for xserver-xorg.config). In this case the
configuration model is expressed in bash and interspersed with a lot
of processing to handle the actual configuration data.

The Config::Model modules provide a way to separate the configuration
model from the actual processing. It also provide a way to express the
model in a declarative form (i.e. a data structure) which is always
easier to maintain than a lot of code.

Config::Model will also come with a Curses::UI interface that queries
the user's model and generate the relevant user screens.

So far this set of modules have succesfully been used by HP on
proprietary products. I've recently got the authorisation to make it
an open source project, but I still have some cleanup to do in the
code (mostly to remove HP centric references and comments and add the
proper copyright and LGPL licence statements)

If you agree on the fact that Config::Model *might* be usefull to
debconf or the whole debian project, I will open a new project on
Alioth.

But since I'm not a dd (despite my name ;-) ), I need someone to back
me up to do this.

What do you think ? Who is interested ?

Cheers

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they