Re: Strange behaviour while building the libcvs-perl package

Ivo Marino dijo [Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 01:02:22PM +0200]:
> First of all thanks for your precious help Gunnar.
>
> Your build process sounds good to me -- The problem is that on some
> other sid machines on which we tried to build the package the process
> fails, especially on the machines of Otavio Salvador <otavio@debian.org>
> which is going to sponsor the package for me.
>
> Any ideas what can be the problem? Mohammed Adnène Trojette
> <adnene@trojette.com> reported that the some make tests could fail
> according to the locales setting of the system -- He tuned around a bit
> with them an has noticed that some tests, which previously failed, went
> fine then.

Hmmm... No idea - I have always preferred to stick to en_US locales,
so that's not my field of expertise ;-) I built it successfully on at
least one Sid system and one Sid chorot (pbuilder). I'd like to see
anybody else give their opinion.

> i fixed all the lintian warnings and configured MAN3PODS in order to
> build only the MAN page of the main public Cvs interface command, not
> all the rest.

Good, it now works fine!

> I've rebuild the updated package (Debian version didn't change in order
> to be always at -1 for first Debian upload) and uploaded it once again
> to MDN -- Feel free to check it out for a second test.

Agreed.

> If the package compiles successfully on other sid machines, IMHO it is
> ready for upload.

There are still bits of QA to do - For example, you are including a
README.Debian which reads:

    Cvs Perl interface for Debian
    -----------------------------

    A full documentation of the module is available in MAN and POD format:
    man Cvs or perldoc Cvs.

    Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:54:59 +0200, Ivo Marino <eim@mentors.debian.net>.

You are also including the module's README itself in the
/usr/share/doc/libcvs-perl directory - That's not bad, but it is
useless: Debian ships already built software. Why do you include a
file that explains how to build this software? (Note to self: Many of
my modules have this same defect. Fix it :) )

Well, all that is obvious information. Why do you need it in a
README.Debian? Leave that file alone for more important matters ;-)

You have a libcvs-perl.substvars file which reads:

    perl:Depends=perl (>= 5.6.0-16)

But you are depening on perl >= 5.8.0-7 in debian-control - And
anyway, the oldest version of Perl in the _stable_ release is
5.8.4 (in Sid, 5.8.7)...

You are not closing an ITP bug with this new upload - Why?

Other than that... Well, it looks fine. Otavio's building problems
should be clarified, yes, but other than that, the module is ready.

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.org - (+52-55)1451-2244 / 5623-0154
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23