Re: Net:SFTP

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 12:12 am, Luk Claes wrote:
> Hi Eric
>
> Apparantly everybody on this list is busy with the upcoming release or
> is not very interested in your packages.

Yes Sarge is probably consuming most peoples time these days. We don't want
anything holding that up ;-)

> Please, make sure you follow the debian-mentors FAQ [1]. It's also worth
> reading Matthew Palmer's sponsering guidelines [2].

I threw this out on the Debian Perl list just to see if anyone else was
considering packaging this and/or needed the packages.

While becoming a DD would be an honor, it's really too much trouble trying to
break that ring of trust. I can totally understand the need for stringent
requirements and I'm glad Debian maintains such high standards.

I need certain things packaged regardless of wether I hold the title of
"Debian Developer" or not. I've come to the realization that when I need
something not in the archive I'm better off packaging it myself than
submitting an RFP. I don't have months to wait for some of this stuff and my
boss would just as soon use RedHat. I package this stuff so that I can use
Debian at work because it makes my life easier.

At any rate I offer my work to the community and they can except my help or
reject it. Either way, it doesn't change what I need to do. I packaged this
stuff because the staff at work was pulling hair out trying to build it from
CPAN, not to try and become a DD (not that I'm disrespecting that title in
anyway -- it's just not my top priority at the moment).

> > deb ftp://ftp.pagecache.org/debian/ prime contrib
> > deb-src ftp://ftp.pagecache.org/debian prime contrib
>
> Any reason why you put them in contrib (Debian's contrib means free, but
> depending on packages which are not free or not in the archive)?

Well Net::SFTP does require on several packages not in the archive. I use
contib at work to mean they are packages that I "Contribute" to our setups.
Just a name though and names can change ;-)

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

--
Eric Gaumer
Debian GNU/Linux PPC