Re: getting dh-make-perl working

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 09:48:10PM -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 01:43:14PM +1100, Jens Porup wrote:
>
>  > For instance, if I hand build my rules file, how do "execute it"?
>  > ./rules doesn't work. And 'make a-rules-target' doesn't work because
>  > make wants a file named Makefile.
>
>  The rules file is located in a directory named "debian".  By design
>  it's a executable to be run from the parent directory:
>
>  $ debian/rules build
>
>  Just remember: "Debian Rules".

OK, I'll give that a go.

>  Marcelo
>
>  > Suppose I want to run with DH_VERBOSE=1. But right now, my debian/
>  > directory and Makefile (not yet on Module::Build yet) are created AND
>  > THEN EXECUTED before I can step in and say, whoa there cowboy, I want
>  > some debug in my output.
>
>  When doing what?  You lost me there...

dh-make-perl does everything for you, all in one swoop. It offers no
--debug flag, or a --just_build-halfway flag. So how do you flag
DH_VERBOSE to 1? By the time you have a Makefile, the .deb has already
been created.

What would be really great is a --just-build-halfway flag or something,
that does everything EXCEPT try to make and build the project.

Does that make any sense? Or am I looking at my problem in the wrong way?

Jens