Re: libperl6-slurp-perl

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 06:17:57PM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
>Allard Hoeve dijo [Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 05:51:33PM +0200]:
>> I have been using the Perl6::Slurp package for some time now and I would
>> like to have this package included into sarge.
>W: libperl6-slurp-perl; Module package has no dependancy on perl or perl-base.
> The module package shown does not have a dependancy on perl or perl-
> base. Perl may be marked Essential, but a dependancy is still required
> on it, according to Policy.

The comment from Linda is correct:  a verioned dependency on either perl
or perl-base is required for architecture-independent packages (see
perl-policy §4.4.1.).

>I am not changing your packaging, however - Linda wants it to depend
>on Perl, but it _does_ depend (and build-depend) on
>libperl6-export-perl, which depends on perl-modules, which depends on
>perl. Does anybody disagree with this?

In this case such a transitive dependency is probably fine, although
it's technically a policy violation.  The simplest solution is to have
dh_perl add the the correct dependency.

WRT to libperl6-export-perl depending on perl-modiules: don't.  Perl
policy is fairly explicit as to what dependencies are required, and
dh_perl provides the right ones.

perl and perl-modules are the same package really, and are only split
to save duplicating 11Mb or so across multiple architectures.  The
dependency should *always* be on "perl", not "perl-modules".

For these packages, the changes are trivial:  uncomment dh_perl in
debian/rules, and change the dependency line to use ${perl:Depends}.  So
for the case of libperl6-slurp-perl that would be:

  Depends: ${perl:Depends}, libperl6-export-perl (>= 0.07)

Note: dropped shlibdeps and misc, which should not be required for this
package.

--bod