Re: Using cvs-buildpackage to manage debian packages

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 10:38:02 -0500, Michael Alan Dorman
<mdorman@debian.org> said:

> Daniel Ruoso <daniel@ruoso.com> writes:
>> I was thinking if it would be nice to manage the packaging of the
>> libraries if we use cvs-buildpackage to maintain the control files
>> such as changelog...
>>
>> that way we can dump the original sources into pkg-perl cvs every
>> time we want to package a new upstream version..
>>
>> what do you think?

> I have used cvs-buildpackage in the past---and, in fact, use it for
> some work-related stuff, where we use CVS to manage our sources and
> where, coincidentally, we are building perl modules. ;)

> That said, I would advocate using arch (well, tla), rather than CVS,
> in combination with tla-buildpackage.

	I wrote cvs-buildpackage -- and yet I now use arch, with the
 as yet unreleased arch-buildpackage. I would strongly advocate using
 arch
> Arch's support for branches and merging is much more sophisticated
> than that of CVS, and tla-buildpackage has made managing new
> upstream source and NMUs much easier than any other method I have
> tried (it certainly *feels* like I've tried them all)---both of
> which I think would be a big benefit if we're looking at doing
> community-supported packages.

 (I personally found arch-buildpackage less limiting than
 tla_buildpackage, since there was no limitation on the number and
 naming of the branches used in packaging -- but that restriction may
 have been removed from tla_buildpackage)

	manoj

--
The key to building a superstar is to keep their mouth shut.  To
reveal an artist to the people can be to destroy him.  It isn't to