Re: Installing perl 5.6.1 on unstable

According to Brendan O'Dea on Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 08:07:27AM +1000:
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 06:09:00PM +0200, Eric Smith wrote:
> >I am trying to run an accounting application XIWA which depends on perl 5.6.1.
>
> What specific dependency does the application have on 5.6.1 that isn't
> filled by 5.8.0?

The dependencies are based on PCX Portal who say:
"* perl (5.6.0 or 5.6.1) - Not tested with anything higher"

There are a handful of modules that they supply only in the above versions.
So I would like to keep it simple and stick to that version of peerl
when executing this app.

> >Have maanged to install from a deb file the perl base and some modules but
> >still getting symbol not found on some of the depent modules .so files.
> >I do not want to keep finding errors and then installing the 5.6.1 version
> >of each module.
> >How do I use the apt system to properly install all dependencies in ver. 5.6.1 on unstable
> >(parallel to my existing 5.8)?
>
> You install a local copy to /usr/local generally.

How does one achieve that with apt?  Maybe I you need to assume I am simple.

Thanks

--
Eric Smith