Re: DB_File

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 12:11:35AM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 04:55:25PM +1000, Brendan O'Dea wrote:

>> >For the archive:
>> >
>> >  # apt-get install libdb4.0-util
>> >  $ db4.0_upgrade *.db
>> >
>> >That's a nasty upgrade.
>>
>> It certainly is.  Although I'm not entirely sure how better to address
>> this than the changelog entry:
>>
>>     perl (5.8.0-7) unstable; urgency=low
>>
>>       [...]
>>       * NOTE: DB_File now uses libdb4.0 (previously libdb2).  Any DB_File
>> 	databases created with earlier perl packages will need to be
>> 	upgraded before being used with the current module with the
>> 	db4.0_upgrade program (in the libdb4.0-util package, with HTML docs
>> 	in db4.0-doc).
>
>I'm not that clear on the problem.  But it's not debian specific, right?
>I mean google finds a bunch of posts about DB_File and Perl 5.8.0,
>although perhaps those were different issues.

No, it's certainly not Debian specific.  *Any* program which links with
a new major version of Berkeley DB has the same problems--any databases
created with an earlier version of the library must be manually
upgraded.

The issue with DB_File is merely that since it provides a generic
mechanism for creating databases it is not possible to issue a clear
instruction like "run db_upgrade on ~/.X.db" as application X might.

>Is it just upgrading to BerkeleyDB 4 that requires rebuilding the db
>files?

The requirement for manually upgrading databases has occurred for every
major revision since 1.85 as I recall.

--bod