Re: Help needed to compile ePerl with Perl 5.8.0

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 03:51:42PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure upstream will fix ePerl soon, so any help will
> be very valuable.  In order to compile it, I removed some
> harmful redefinitions:
>   * strndup in eperl_proto.h and eperl_parse.c
>   * fwrite in eperl_perl5.h
> Then eperl segfaults because Perl did substitute some common C
> routines (e.g. ctime) in eperl_main.c to their reentrant counterparts,
> but Perl interpreter is not yet allocated at that time.
> It seems to work when perl_alloc is called earlier, but I am not sure
> this is the right thing to do.
> Could someone enlighten me?

I've uploaded eperl_2.2.14-5 to incoming with these fixes.  This version
does compile with Perl 5.8, but eperl segfaults.
In order to fix those reentrancy problems, the whole Perl stuff has been
moved into eperl_perl5.c so that eperl_main.c is not tainted by Perl
redefinition of some C routines.  These changes are not guaranteed to be
harmless, so I would be happy if there was a more robust solution.
Anyway, eperl_2.2.14-6 has been uploaded to the staging area.

Denis