Help needed to compile ePerl with Perl 5.8.0

Hi,

I am not sure upstream will fix ePerl soon, so any help will
be very valuable.  In order to compile it, I removed some
harmful redefinitions:
  * strndup in eperl_proto.h and eperl_parse.c
  * fwrite in eperl_perl5.h
Then eperl segfaults because Perl did substitute some common C
routines (e.g. ctime) in eperl_main.c to their reentrant counterparts,
but Perl interpreter is not yet allocated at that time.
It seems to work when perl_alloc is called earlier, but I am not sure
this is the right thing to do.
Could someone enlighten me?
TIA

Denis