Re: perl 5.8 questions/comments

[List: Joey is referring to http://people.debian.org/~bod/perl/README]

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 03:09:30PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
>1. people.debian.org is SLOW!

Indeed it does appear to be.  If anyone can suggest another machine
which is better connected, I'm all ears.

>2. I think something is hosed with man page installation. I built
>   libterm-slan-perl, and got:
>
>   /usr/man/man3pm/Term::Slang.3pm.gz
>   /usr/man/man3pm/Term::Slang::Scroll.3pm.gz
>   /usr/man/man3pm/Term::Slang::Window.3pm.gz
>
>   The package does nothing special, and uses INSTALLDIRS=vendor.
>   It should certianly not go in /usr/man, and the man3pm directory is
>   wrong as well. Same problem with libsys-utmp-perl.

Well spotted, I missed that.

Yes, something is definitly broken with vendor installed manual pages
right now.  MakeMaker has been recently "improved" upstream and it
appears that I missed that when I reworked/rewrote my patch.

I'll fix it over the next day or so.

>3. Do you only want maintainer uploads to the staging area, or are NMU's
>   ok? Will the staging area be copied over to Incoming eventually?

For the moment my principal concern was working the bugs (such as the
man page thing above) out of perl, testing the packaging procedure,
embedded interpreters and so on.

The rationale for providing a developer writable incoming directory was
prinipally to allow maintainers to test their own packages, although in
some instances that also may require an NMU of some dependencies.

For my own purposes, I've done MUs of my own packages, plus some binary
NMUs on my development arch simply to satisfy dependencies.  Although
feel free to do sourceful NMUs if you wish.

Unless indicated to me otherwise by mail, anything which is dropped into
my incoming and processed into the pool will be copied into ftp-master's
incoming at the end of the testing period (a week or two).

>4. I notice that anything that does a 'use 5.6.0' (debdiff) triggers a
>   v-string warning. Just something to keep an eye on.

Ugh.  The documentation for "use" undef perlfunc goes into the
rationale, although I can't say that I agree completely.

--bod