Re: packaging mod_perl-based (Mason-based, etc.) applications

How about adding the necessary info to the main install's config,
but commented out by default?  Then include an install message and/or
an user-selected option to uncomment that section and restart.
This is currently the case for at least some Apache modules packages
(e.g. libapache-mod-fastcgi's postinst), so there's precedent.

That said... In general, it would be handy if there were better support
in Debian for multiple instances of a given server. (e.g. I ran into
the same problem this week w.r.t. running split DNS with two Bind (8)
instances, and how well they would deal with package upgrades later)
But that's a potentially sticky problem and beyond the scope of the
original question.

-jp