Re: Debianizing perl modules - tests

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 06:37:21PM -0600, Colin Watson wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 11:17:54AM -0500, Mako Hill wrote:
>> The relevant section of policy seem to imply "no" through ommision as
>> well (someone more knowledgable should correct me if I'm wrong here):
>>
>> <snip>
>> A module should use the following lines in the debian/rules build
>> target[3]:
>>
>> perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=vendor
>> $(MAKE) OPTIMIZE="-O2 -g -Wall"
>
>[...]
>
>I wouldn't say the Perl policy is implying anything through omission at
>all. It just looks like it's talking about how to get the basics right
>to me.

Quite correct.  The intent of the quoted section of policy is to provide
a basic how-to for building modules, *not* to prohibit the running of
useful tests if your module provides them.

A well written regression test is worth a thousand bugs.  If your module
has one then I would urge you to run it as part of the build.

Regards,
--
Brendan O'Dea                                        bod@compusol.com.au
Compusol Pty. Limited                  (NSW, Australia)  +61 2 9810 3633