Re: Debianizing perl modules - tests

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 11:17:54AM -0500, Mako Hill wrote:
> The relevant section of policy seem to imply "no" through ommision as
> well (someone more knowledgable should correct me if I'm wrong here):
>
> <snip>
> A module should use the following lines in the debian/rules build
> target[3]:
>
> perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=vendor
> $(MAKE) OPTIMIZE="-O2 -g -Wall"

[...]

I wouldn't say the Perl policy is implying anything through omission at
all. It just looks like it's talking about how to get the basics right
to me.

Some packages' test suites vary enough from architecture to architecture
that running the tests on autobuilders can be useful. See for example
libproc-process-perl; although it's had a couple of serious bugs in the
process, I think it's all the better as a result - there's no point
having packages in the archive that just plain don't work, after all.