Re: [ANNOUNCE] automatic perl module building from CPAN

On 02/16/01 Joey Hess wrote:
> Paolo Molaro wrote:
> > Been there, done that. A few months ago. We even discussed it on debian-perl.
>
> Hm, I wonder how I missed it.

Dunno, really. You also exchanged a couple of mails on the subject.

> I do sorta prefer the way my method integrates with CPAN shell, but no
> matter, CPAN is an ugly dog anyway.
>
> A things you may want to incorporate:
>
> * There is no need to include your own code to extract version info from
>   the makefile. CPAN can already do this. Get a CPAN::Module object and
>   calls its cpan_version method.

>From the TODO:
# * get more info from the package (maybe using CPAN methods)

:-)
I'll look at your code, but, at least for the Coy module it gets
the version wrong (0-1 instead of 0.05-1): mine gets it right.

> * Similarly for name, just use $module->id

I download from CPAN using the module name, so $module->id should be
the same, I think. I'll check that.

> * If you have a CPAN::Module, $module->{description} will occasionally
>   contain a useful description. But that's a nice job parsing the
>   pod docs doe the long description!

Eh, I need to do that also for the copyright info, since lintian complains
about the lack of the copyright file for packages produced with dh-make-perl.
My worry is that an automated tool should not try to guess the copyright...

> * I personally think it's a nice touch to drop the built deb in the
>   directory the command was run in. Much more convenient that way,
>   rather that having to dig around in .cpan/build. Just call dh_builddeb so:
>
>   DESTDIR=..
>   	dh_builddeb --destdir=\$(DESTDIR)
>
>   Then override DESTDIR to set it to the pwd (which must be saved;
>   CPAN.pm will change it).

That's a nice idea. I'll integrate that.

Thanks,
	lupus

lupus@debian.org                                     debian/rules
lupus@ximian.com                             Monkeys do it better