Re: New perl packages

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 09:14:39PM -0800, Stephen Zander wrote:
>    bod> I've re-applied the patch.
>
>More breakage. Try
>
>        perl -e 'use lib "/usr/lib/perl5"; use IO::Seekable;'
>
>and watch the fun.  I found this trying to use sgmt2html from the
>sgml-tools package.
>
>My personal suggestion would be to change INSTALLPRIVLIB to
>/usr/share/perl/5.005 and INSTALLARCHLIB to /usr/lib/perl/5.005 and

Quite correct.  That's how I intended it (but obviously forgot to
change).  Thanks.

>explicitly add /usr/lib/perl5 using APPLLIB in perl-5.005

>In addition, the current perl-5.005 package is also broken if you
>intended to allow it to continue to access packages under
>/usr/lib/perl5.  Install libapache-asp-perl and then try this
>
>        perl-5.005 -MApache::ASP -e 1

I didn't.

>If you don't mean for that to work then all the more reason to move
>INSTALLPRIVLIB and INSTALLARCHLIB as I suggest.  Of course, if you
>don't mean that to work, why bother with a non-dummy perl-5.005
>package at all? :)

That was my intention some time ago when I first proposed un-splitting
the packages.  Personally I'd like 5.005 to be killed stone dead, but
some people insisted that they need it.

The whole idea of having packaged modules dumped into
/usr/{share,lib}/perl5 is that everything in there should work with the
current perl (5), controlled by dependencies on perl and perlapi-<ver>.

Having perl-5.005 look in there will break things, even for non-XS
modules if they have explicit "use <ver>" statements or implicitly use
5.6.0+ constructs.

People who really *do* need 5.005 can install modules locally if need
be.

    perl-5.005 Makefile.PL
    make install

>rabbit% dpkg -l perl\*|grep ^ii
>ii  perl           5.6.0-11       Larry Wall's Practical Extracting and Report
>ii  perl-5.005     5.005.03-9     Larry Wall's Practical Extracting and Report
>ii  perl-5.6       5.6.0-11       Transitional package.
>ii  perl-5.6-base  5.6.0-11       Transitional package.

You don't have perl-base installed?

Regards,
--
Brendan O'Dea                                        bod@compusol.com.au
Compusol Pty. Limited                  (NSW, Australia)  +61 2 9810 3633