Re: perl-5.6-base should conflict with all perl packages that use alternatives

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 08:53:24AM -0800, Erik Hollensbe wrote:
>A problem that I have had, and others have had, is that apt-get requires
>certain perl modules which must be loaded to handle certain things. Would
>it be too much to have these in perl-<version>-base? That way, if install
>problems do happen, and /usr/bin/perl gets overwritten with a new version,
>then apt will function properly as well.

It's not apt-get which requires perl, but rather debconf.  The recent
problems experienced with perl-5.6 in unstable are well understood and
have a clean fix.  There will be no perl-<version>-base.

Regards,
--
Brendan O'Dea                                        bod@compusol.com.au
Compusol Pty. Limited                  (NSW, Australia)  +61 2 9810 3633