Re: Perl 5.6 is available! - but not officially in unstable :-(

Le Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 10:29:00AM -0400, Fred Reimer écrivait:
> I guess the only question remaining is why this isn't on the official
> Debian site in the unstable version instead of some out-of-the-way place
> that no one knows about.

Because Darren Stalder (the Debian perl maintainer) didn't want to
upload it to unstable without a first "debugging" stage...

He announced the availability of his perl5.6 package here on debian-perl.

Updating from one perl version to another perl version is a pain anyway
since many binary modules needs to be recompiled before everything can
work with the new perl.

Yes it is. Or mail Darren (torin@daft.com) directly.

> When will this be moved into unstable, and if it's some off in the
> future date why so long?  If the answer is that there are known problems

Because nobody has actually volunteered to do the job I did for the perl
5.4->5.5 transition. That is get the perl package ready, mail all
maintainers of binary modules packages, announce everything on
debian-devel-announce and NMU if the maintainer didn't upload packages
compiled with the new perl within 15 days.