[ardo@debian.org: Re: discussion on perl module packaging]

This should have gone to the list as well.

----- Forwarded message from Ardo van Rangelrooij <ardo@debian.org> -----

From: Ardo van Rangelrooij <ardo@debian.org>
Subject: Re: discussion on perl module packaging
To: Sean 'Shaleh' Perry <shaleh@valinux.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:36:39 -0500

A solution from the top of my head might be to have a package with perl modules
contain a file with the info lintian need.  Using eg 'update-lintian' this file
can then be installed for lintian to be used during package checks.  This would
then of course require for all packages needed to satisfy lintian to be installed,
but one would need that anyway for a successfull package build.

Since a lot of packages probably have 'dh_perl' in their rules file, this might be
a suitable hook to generate the needed lintian info.  lintian could then provide a
tool for this, but this would require lintian to be added to the Build-Depends.

This 'update-lintian' approach might also be useful for other checks, but I'm not
sure that it'll be workable for all checks.

Thanks,
Ardo

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry (shaleh@valinux.com) wrote:

> >     Sean> Problem is, there is no way to determine what package a perl
> >     Sean> module came from. Further, lintian may be checking a package
> >     Sean> on a machine where neither the package or any of its
> >     Sean> dependencies are installed.
> >
> > The two relevant statements in perl are
> >
> >         use Some::Module;
> >
> > and
> >
> >         require Some::Module;
> >

> this is already done
>

> > or the perl equivalent.  To perform this check where the relevant
> > package *is not* installed requires access to Contents-$(arch).gz.
> > You may have to generate your own, cut-down version and include it
> > with the lintian package.
> >

> currently there is such a list in lintian.  Problem is that it is ALWAYS out of
> date.  I would like a solution that does not involved a file distributed with
> lintian.
>
> Problem with the contents file is that it a) requires net access or b) requires
> lintian be run on a mirror.  I could add a --on-mirror switch, but I was hoping
> we could come up with a better answer.
>

> --

Ardo van Rangelrooij
home email: ardo@debian.org
home page:  http://www.debian.org/~ardo
PGP fp:     3B 1F 21 72 00 5C 3A 73  7F 72 DF D9 90 78 47 F9

PGP fp:     3B 1F 21 72 00 5C 3A 73  7F 72 DF D9 90 78 47 F9