Re: State of the Art wrt XML/XSL.

Moin Joey Hess,

> The point is that with Debian's perl setup, you don't have to reinstall
> the same module in 2 different places if you have 2 different version of
> perl on your system (unless it is a XS module).

  the debian way handling perl is broken :

  - debian does not know, if I install a new module using CPAN, and may
    want to overwrite it with an older module, at next dselect, if some
    debian package thinks it need this module.

  - its not possible to ask the Debian Perl for an autobundle, and to
    remake a complete new Perl, as critical modules for running Debian
    are missing on CPAN.

  - its impossible to query those critical Perl modules for documentation
    using e.g. 'perldoc Debian::DebConf' shows me 'No documentation found'.

> Anyone who wrote an XS module without MakeMaker would be certificably
> doing a Bad Thing, but Debian's perl policy ensures that debian-specific
> perl modules can be installed by plain old Makefiles into /usr/lib/perl5
> and Just Work.

  Debian and CPAN should integrate. Currently Debian is blocking CPAN.

  Integration means that I people should be able to mix CPAN autobundle
  with Debian dselect in both directions. e.g. ask /usr/bin/perl for a
  autobundle, and install a new perl in ~/perl. Or ask the ~/perl for
  a autobundle, install them at /usr/bin/perl and have those packages
  I have installed by CPAN in my /var/lib/dpkg/status to meet Debian
  require/suggest for next dselect.

  Currently Debian's /usr/bin/perl is useless for me ;-( I dont say that
  the complete Debian is useless for me - it provides a `I dont need to
  think about` for programms I just use. - I just say that they way Debian
  ignores CPAN is broken - Even windows does it better take a look at
  the way ActiveState does - and thats a shame to say, as I've hacked
  on the early Linux ext2-fs ;-)

> I suggest you learn what pod documentation is. You will find that over
> 75% of debconf, by volume, is pod documentation. That is, of course,
> ignoring the 1500 lines of additional documentation in xml and plain
> text format.

  I did'nt saw any pod ?

    bakunin:/usr/lib/perl5 $ perldoc Debian::DebConf
    No documentation found for "Debian::DebConf".
    bakunin:/usr/lib/perl5 $ find Debian Dpkg -type f | xargs fgrep =head
    bakunin:/usr/lib/perl5 $

  and I cant also see any pod in dpkg/list/debconf-doc.list ;-(
  could you enlight me where to find this hidden doc ;-)

Bye Michael
--
  mailto:kraehe@copyleft.de             UNA:+.? 'CED+2+:::Linux:2.2.14'UNZ+1'
  http://www.xml-edifact.org/           CETERUM CENSEO MSDOS ESSE DELENDAM