Re: State of the Art wrt XML/XSL.

Moin Fred Reimer,

> So you select a package and when it was installed your system would run
> something like "perl -MCPAN -e 'install XML::XPath'"

  This is only half of the bill ;-( there are debian systems without
  a C compiler, and they may need Perl modules also ;-) Even if it
  sound heretic. ActiveState did it right for their Windows integration.

  They asked MakeMaker to become changed to produce a makefile, that
  builds their binarie packages right out of the box. And they uploaded
  their efforts (unlike the debian ignorants ;-) to CPAN, so we could
  copy this aproach. We would only need to parse the XML of the PPM,
  to produce a Debian compilant binary package.

> Hmm, now I understand the complaints even more.  Seems like I can't
> install a debconf "module" under Perl 5.6.0 because there IS NO DEBCONF
> MODULE!

  exactly - so Debian is effectivly useless for Perl development. Any
  real Perl author, will need his own Perl - what a duplication of
  efforts, just because of some ignorants.

> Why would someone want to hard code pathnames into the Makefile
> instead of providing a Makefile.pl just like everyone else?

  the code is braindead and totaly useless as its undocumented - is'nt it ;-(

> Is there anything that can be done to use Perl in the standard way
> if it's going to be used at all for package maintenance or other
> system functions?

  A Perl maintained by autobundle has to be called $HOME/perl-5.6 or
  /opt/perl-5.6. The later can be found by 'apt' on

  deb ftp://ftp.copyleft.de/pub/project/debian potato-i386/

Bye Michael
--
  mailto:kraehe@copyleft.de             UNA:+.? 'CED+2+:::Linux:2.2.14'UNZ+1'
  http://www.xml-edifact.org/           CETERUM CENSEO MSDOS ESSE DELENDAM