Re: Perl 5.6.0 Is Here!

Replying out of order, so Darin can see these first:

According to Michael Koehne:
> IMHO Debian Perl 5.6 should use the vendor_lib as an install place
> for modules installed by dselect/dpkg, and leave other directories
> clean.

I think we should at least _try_ such a setup.  That's what the vendor
lib dir is for, after all.  If it doesn't serve us then we should push
for upstream changes that allow us to use it as intended.

> Its also necessary to register modules installed by dselect/dpkg in
> perllocal.pod.

I never did like perllocal.pod.  Debian tends to use directories for
that sort of thing.  I suggest we have a directory whose contents are
used to build perllocal.pod after module install/remove.  Something
modelled on /etc/modutils should serve us well, and it might even get
pushed back upstream.

> Perhaps a good way solve this would be to use PPM from the
> ActiveState Perl.

What would that gain us over a modutils-like approach?  (Serious
question -- I'm not that familiar with PPM.)

Now the rest.

> Moin Chip Salzenberg,
> > Well, I've built it, and it works.  Any thought of approaching deb
> > creation?  Or would you like me to take the first arrow ^W attempt?
>
> Of course it works - the prior version also compiled and installed.

Hey, Sarathy could have goofed.  I know I did, from time to time.

> The only part where they break (here) is the regession test with BSD-DBM,
> where Perl is claiming that the Debian's BSD-DBM version is broken.

I'm not getting that.  Which db libraries do you have installed?  I'm
using the one in glibc:

    # ldd ./DB_File.so
        libdb.so.3 => /lib/libdb.so.3 (0x00120000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0015b000)
    # dpkg -S /lib/libdb.so.3
    libc6: /lib/libdb.so.3

> I hope to see Perl 5.6 in woody

That seems likely.

> and I would also applaud to see it in Potato (perhaps as
> /opt/perl-5.6).

Well, I think the version scheme can support it.  So I suppose it's
possible.  At the very least we can build and publicize unofficial
debs that are intended to work with potato.

> But I think that building a Perl 5.6 that is replacing Perl 5.005
> wont be trivial, as any .deb that is depending on Perl has to be
> rebuild.

You win the "Understatement Of The Month" award.  :-)

> BTW: I'm still missing CPAN/modules/by-module/{Dpkg,Debian,DebianNet},
> to get rid of the Debian Perl, without braking dselect/dpkg. imho Debian
> Perl is broken, as it contains modules, that can not be found on CPAN!

Good point!  I suggest you file bug reports to that effect against all
such packages.

> Also many modules provided as .deb are broken as its not possible to
> install newer ones using CPAN, as the modules are installed in old
> (perl 5.004) places.

Hm.  Again, please file bug reports to that effect.  A properly
installed Perl system should allow CPAN updates.

> Here /usr/lib/perl5 looks more than a junkyard than any other Debian
> directory, as the slink->potato upgrade left many obsolent files.

Again, I imitate a broken record: Please file bugs.
--
Chip Salzenberg              - a.k.a. -              <chip@valinux.com>