installing w/ PREFIX...

I suspect this is closely related to a discussion re. "INSTALLPRIVLIB
should be /usr/lib/perl5" in debian-perl about a month ago, but I don't
know enough about perl's 'normal' configuration methods and particularly
debian's packaged distribution to say...

I want to install various perl modules local to my home account, the
standard perl MakeMaker ordinarily allows the following

~/local/src$ perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=~/local/

But this does not work under Debian 2.1, It seems that no matter what I
set PREFIX to, Install.pm wants to put it in /usr/local/lib/site_perl.

I've never come across this behaviour from perl before, I presume this
is some Debian thing? (I've been a debian user for 2.5 days :-)

Also, even if I concede and (as root) install my modules in
/usr/local/lib/site_perl (using perl Makefile.PL & make install), the
man pages go to /usr/man/man3 rather than /usr/local/man/man3...

Ben