Re: perl 5.4 and 5.5 issues today

Le Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 05:18:12PM -0800, Joey Hess écrivait:
> I wonder if the core problem is that the current perl set up allows the
> dependancies of a package that depends on perl5 to be satisfied by a package
> like perl-5.005 being installed, but "perl" can still point to perl-5.004 in
> this situation (with no perl-5.004 being installed, just perl-5.004-base).
> So a program that needs things not in perl-base fails to work although its
> dependancies are satisfied.
>
> I posted about this a while back, but I don't remember what became of it.

Well, I did the last upload of perl but I didn't introduce this problem,
in fact it's here since the beginning. The problem is that we really
shouldn't use update-alternative for managing /usr/bin/perl. When
perl-5.005-base get unpacked /usr/bin/perl is changed by
update-alternartive to point to perl-5.004 if perl-5.004-base is
installed. If perl-5.004-base is not here, it's removed but the preinst
recreate a temporary link in order not to cause problem with scripts
looking for perl until perl-5.005-base gets configured.

I should have corrected this since the prerm will now remove the link only
if it's called with remove (and not upgrade) but since dpkg uses the
old-prerm i've only corrected it for the next time we'll have to upgrade
perl. :) Anyway, i've asked Darren if I can adopt the perl-* packages
and it will be one of the first things to clean.

Raphaël Hertzog -=- http://tux.u-strasbg.fr/~raphael/
<pub> CDs Debian : http://tux.u-strasbg.fr/~raphael/debian/#cd </pub>