Re: perl 5.4 and 5.5 issues today

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> Hi, today i did an apt upgrade and things seemed fine until gnuplot tried to
> upgrade.  It died w/ an inability to locate re.pm.  The odd thing is that it
> tried to find it in @INC 5.4 directories.  I am running perl 5.5, but I had
> perl-base 5.4 (plus the 5.5 version) and perl-base (which is for 5.4).  Once
> the upgrade finished, the package successfully installed.

I wonder if the core problem is that the current perl set up allows the
dependancies of a package that depends on perl5 to be satisfied by a package
like perl-5.005 being installed, but "perl" can still point to perl-5.004 in
this situation (with no perl-5.004 being installed, just perl-5.004-base).
So a program that needs things not in perl-base fails to work although its
dependancies are satisfied.

I posted about this a while back, but I don't remember what became of it.

--
see shy jo