Re: What to do with a '.pm' that has to be customized?

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 02:47:07PM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> [This is a diversion from 5.005 problems :-) ]
>
> I maintain a Perl package, BioPerl, which has one '.pm' which is supposed to
> be customized for local characteristics, before installing. I'm wondering how
> to handle it and I would like to know if someone already got the problem:
>
> 1) Customize it for Debian and do not let users customize it. Unfortunately,
> the variables to define are really site-dependant.
>
> 2) Install it, but flag it as a conffile. May be lintian will not like
> conffiles in /usr/share/perl?
>
> 3) Rewrite the module to have it 'use' the real conffile, in /etc/bioperl...
> Difficult (especially if the upstream maintainer does not want to integrate my
> patches) but cleaner.

I strongly recommend the third option.  If nothing else, you can do
this by putting that .pm in /etc/bioperl/site.pm and symlinking from
its normal location in /usr/share/perl.  Although, as you said, it is
cleaner to separate out the configuration elements.

Dan