Re: POSIX and internationalization

Le Sun, Jun 20, 1999 at 12:09:13AM -0700, Darren/Torin/Who Ever... écrivait:
> So, I'd like to propose to only include part of POSIX to enable
> localization.  POSIX takes up quite a bit of space (243 blocks).  80k of
> this is due to the POSIX shared library.  Much of it is due to the
> autoloaded nature of POSIX.  There are 148 different functions there;
> each in their own .al file.  That's .5k each if I remember my floppy
> block sizes correctly.

I don't think that the number of files is a problem since the base system
is in a tar.gz archive AFAIK.

Otherwise for the internationalization you only need setlocale and the
associated constants :

(from POSIX.pm)

    locale_h => [qw(LC_ALL LC_COLLATE LC_CTYPE LC_MONETARY LC_NUMERIC
                LC_TIME NULL localeconv setlocale)],

setlocale does not have his own .al file ...

[ nothing to do with POSIX.pm ]

Otherwise there are two more bugs I corrected but you lost when merging
(it's my fault I should have more documented what i've done) :

Both perl postinsts have a bad update-alternatives with
/usr/man/perl-=version=.1p.gz instead of /usr/man/MAN1/perl-=version=.1p.gz :

update-alternatives --install /usr/man/man1/perl.1p.gz perl.1p.gz
/usr/man/perl-=version=.1p.gz =alt-num=

And also for the call to Configure in the rules files I changed
-D startperl='#!/usr/bin/perl$(version)'
-D startperl='#!/usr/bin/perl-$(version)'

which works better since there is no /usr/bin/perl5.00X :)

Hertzog Raphaël >> 0C4CABF1 >> http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~rhertzog/