Week 1, 2, 3 Report - Systemd Unit Translator
Here's my report for the first 3 weeks:
- Setup Debian VMs: one for testing and one clone in case I mess
something up and I need to start from scratch.
- Read up on OpenRC service script guide, systemd manpages for
service, units and install sections.
- Assemble a parser (in bash) which splits key-value pairs of service
files with the use of GNU coreutils.
- Try to map each of the filtered values to an equivalent OpenRC
function in pursuit of coming up with a basic translator but hit a
roadblock since Debian's /etc/init.d scripts look nothing like the
service script guide described.
- Slow week. Roadblock continues and time is spent in learning about
differences in Gentoo and Debian's OpenRC styles.
- Debian's use of LSBHeaders and custom functions needs further work
and research to make generic OpenRC script templates.