Re: GsoD: Contributor Profiling

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 12:08 AM Prateek Nayak wrote:

> the contributor profiling idea has intrigued me

Excellent, this is something that is mostly done manually via IRC at
the moment. Newcomer enters a Debian IRC channel, we try to ask
questions about their interests/skills/influences and point them at
places that might be suitable, with the Help Debian page and the
how-can-i-help package as a fallback. This approach can sometimes lead
to choice overload though since there is so much to do and many
newcomers don't have very specific ideas about what they want to work
on.

https://www.debian.org/intro/help

I think it would be a good idea to explore the onboarding
resources/services/processes for other Linux distributions and free
software projects and see what is out there. For example
Fedora/Mozilla have this Ask Not thing:

https://whatcanidoforfedora.org/en/
https://whatcanidoformozilla.org/

> hosted on firestore

This looks like a Google Cloud product. Official Debian services
cannot rely on external/proprietary/cloud services, so please replace
Firestore with software that is already packaged for Debian.

> P.S. I'll love to share an entire timeline for the project

Official Debian services need to be maintained indefinitely so after
the initial implementation it would be important to have a team that
can continually keep the service both working and evolving as Debian
changes and evolving to be a good fit for the new people coming to
Debian at each point in time.

PS: some further advice on hosting Debian services, including gratis
hosting for service experiments like this:

https://wiki.debian.org/ServicesHosting

--
bye,
pabs