Re: Become a part of Debian

Hi Nishant,

On 11/21/18 6:57 PM, Nishant Rajput wrote:
> Hi!
> I am Nishant Rajput, a not much of an expert programmer but a great Linux
> enthusiast for more than a year , just learnt that GSoC '19 was announced.
There's no hurry. I think this years GSoC organisations were only
announced in February, so there is still a lot of time until then...

> Since then, actively researching and learning about Debian community and
> how can i start contributing... But I'm finding it pretty intimidating to
> find something i can start within WNPS as i have no professional experience
> and a beginner in open source contribution, but i wish to be a part of
> Debian sooner or later, so i can help those packages which in need,or
> requested.
Yeah, Debian is a big project with a lot of moving parts, it can be
intimidating from time to time.

If you want to help fixing bugs, there is a "newcomer" tag, which lists
bugs that are ideal for new contributors to get involved in Debian:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=newcomer

If you want to get into Debian packaging i suggest you have a look at
the Debian New Maintainer's Guide
(https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/) to get an idea. On
https://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/requested_byage you can find a list of
packages that are not in Debian yet but were requested by someone- maybe
there is something there you find interesting?
Another useful resource is the introduction for maintainers
https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers

For GSoC project ideas, as mentioned in other mails, i suggest to have a
lookt at the projects of the last few years, they are listed on
https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2018 and in the GSoC
archive on https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/

cheers,
Birger