Re: GSoC Proposal Draft Feedback

On 12/03/2018 15:57, Jacob Adams wrote:
> I've written a draft proposal for my GSoC application and I'm now
> looking for feedback:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/JacobAdams/PGPCleanRoomGSoC2018ProjectProposal

Hi Jacob,

I had a look at your proposal: it looks good!  A few notes:

- I think it would be relevant to explain why you on having two storage
devices used in RAID1, and what are the possible alternatives. Have you
thought about the possibility of recommending the RAID1 setup but not
requiring it? From the proposed workflow I also deduce that you are
planning to have the storage encrypted. What's the reason fro that?
Isn't having the private keys password protected enough?

- Have you thought about having the possibility of having the keys
generated in the smartcard directly? How would that fit in the workflow?
Do you think that the RAID1 disks would be the recommended solution in
that case too?

- I see a lot of testing mentioned, but not mention of an automated test
setup. Have you thought a bit about this aspects? Having automated
testing in mind will help in structuring the code in a way that will
make testing easier and the code structure better. Also, for example, I
would allocate some time to investigate solutions to do automated
testing of newt user interfaces.

- The first activity in the proposed schedule is to realize a
mock/skeleton user interface. I think it is a good idea, but wouldn't it
be simpler and faster to iterate on "user stories" at the beginning:
defining user tasks, the required steps to accomplish them and how the
interface for them should look like. Actually writing the code for the
ui can come as a second step.

That's all for now.

Cheers,
Dan