Re: helping newcomers start blogs - but where?

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 04:59:46AM +0000, Himanshu Shekhar wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017, 11:59 PM Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> wrote:
> > What are the recommended alternatives for people who want to adhere to a
> > more free / libre approach?
> >
> > In particular, I'm looking for solutions I can recommend to students
> > getting into Outreachy and GSoC.  They often have a lot of things to
> > think about during their application and at the start of their project
> > and need to start blogging quite quickly.
> >
> > For now, I'm tempted to recommend github pages with Jekyll static
> > content generation because at least the git repository (and full
> > history) behind these sites can be easily migrated to any other hosting
> > platform.  Are there other alternatives people recommend?
>
> Alternatives: Medium, Ghost, Tumblr

Medium and Tumblr aren't Free Software though, are they?

Looks like Ghost is though.

> For most use cases of personal and technical blogs Medium and Github pages
> are most suitable. Comparing these two, Github is more compliant to
> libre/free ideology.

Github may host a number of Free Software projects, but the software which
runs github is not Free Software.

The only thing to be said for Github pages in this regard is you can
essentially treat it as a webserver which serves files from a git tree,
so at least there's no real lock in there.

Cheers,
    Olly