Re: Outreachy 14th round?

Hi Vagrant, and sorry for the delay in replying.

* Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> [2017-01-16 19:07:06 -0800]:

> Thanks for all your work on outreach in Debian; it's always exciting to
> see new people getting involved and read about what they're working on.
>

> I'm curious if Outreachy Round14 is coming up soon, if Debian will be
> participating, and what the timeframe is likely going to be.
>
> Will it be similar to Round12?
>
>   https://wiki.debian.org/Outreachy/Round12
>
> That seems to suggest people apply mid-February, but presumably the
> organizations need to get involved before then?
>

> I was interested in what it takes to mentor someone for outreachy on
> some projects related to the LTSP and epoptes packages in Debian, and
> curious what the next steps and timeline would be like.

I haven't yet looked at funding for Outreachy Round 14. Considering how
successful the program has been in the last few rounds, we should be able to
argue for funding one or two internships, like we did for the last round. I
really want us to keep participating around that level.

The timeframe for the May-August rounds of Outreachy is aligned to that of the
Google Summer of Code, which allows projects to be shared between both.

I just updated the wiki page for Google Summer of Code 2017 at
https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2017. The timeline is accurate, TTBOMK.

The project template is the same for both GSOC and Outreachy, so your next step
right now would be to just create a project page (using the links on
https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2017/Projects), and it'll get linked once I
get around to updating the Outreachy landing page.

If you're so inclined, you can also drop by #debian-outreach and stick around
there :)

I'll try to find the time to call for projects on d-d-a this week-end.

Cheers,
--
Nicolas Dandrimont

"...Deep Hack Mode--that mysterious and frightening state of
consciousness where Mortal Users fear to tread."
(By Matt Welsh)