beyond GSoC: events?

Hi all,

I had a few questions from students about their careers and also about
attending free software events.  These topics are closely related.

There are many events around the world where you might meet people from
the Debian and free software community.  Some of the events I'm
attending or contemplating over the next year include:

   FSFE Summit[1] in Berlin (in just a few days now)

   MiniDebConf Cambridge[2]

   FOSDEM[3] in Brussels

   FOSSASIA[4] in Singapore

   DebConf17 in Montreal[5]

Has anybody seen other events advertised closer to where they live?  Are
there any events (including those above) that any students or mentors
are planning to attend over the next year?

In the past, Google has provided some funds to assist students attending
events, the admins might be able to provide more ideas about how this
will work in practice and whether funding might be available for any of
the events on this list.

Some students may be able to apply for diversity grants, that is
separate from the Google funding.  Diversity funding doesn't depend on
whether you complete GSoC successfully.  You may be eligible for
diversity funding for many reasons, for example, if you are female, if
you have a disability, if you are not employed or if you don't come from
a wealthy country.  If you are not sure, please ask for the funding and
you will be considered and given feedback.

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://fsfe.org/community/events/2016/summit/frontpage.en.html
2. https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/gb/2015/MiniDebConfCambridge