Re: [GSoC] Introduction and Project Discussion

Chirayu Desai:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans@at.or.at> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Chirayu,
>>
>> Chirayu Desai:

>>> This would involve more repositories being pulled under android-tools/
>>> It would be made easier by the fact that the NDK is less coupled with
>>> the build system than other tools, and there is also a repo manifest
>>> to build only the NDK - which doesn't fetch too many repos, especially
>>> if you don't count the prebuilt toolchains [3]
>>
>> Since Debian always builds everything from source, the prebuilts will
>> count too.  Unfortunately, those can be harder...
>>
> Right.
> So that means even the prebuilt toolchains would have to be built from
> their android fork?
> That would be quite a bit of work.
> Doable, but a lot to compile.

Building everything from source is the end goal, but it is a large task,
so it could make sense to provide some packages that download Android
SDK/NDK binaries in an easy, automatic way (like the flash packages,
some font packages, etc).  But everything in the main Debian
repositories must be built entirely from source.

>>> Doable, probably much easier as they would likely be independent tools
>>> then be something so tightly coupled as android.
>>>
>>> Overall, I view this as a good challenge for me, given this is a part
>>> of android I haven't worked too much with before. And that too for
>>> debian, which is something I've only used.
>>> It would be a great experience for me to be able to work with the
>>> debian project, and contribute with the help of the android knowledge
>>> I've gained over the years.
>>>
>>> I'll upload a draft proposal to Google's site if the above looks okay
>>> to you guys.
>>
>> Yes, sounds good, please upload a proposal!
>>
> I'll try to get it done by tonight, or tomorrow.
> I have exams in college right now, so that is what I was busy with for
> most of the day.
> i do have two holidays coming up before the deadline though so I'll be
> able to dedicate most of my time to this, and study things in detail
> to write a proper proposal

Ok, looking forward to it!

.hc