Re: Version numbers of hunspell dictionaries

Hi!

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 11:32:47AM +0300, Zeev Pekar wrote:
> Once my dictionary is ready - how do I supply it to you for packaging for
> Debian? The dictionary is a general hunspell dictionary, it is not
> necessarily limited to LibreOffice...

Me and Rene somewhat disagree on "how bad" libreoffice-dictionary is.

Formally, you could publish it somewhere, find a Debian Developer
willing to maintain it (or, at least, sponsor it if you want to maintain
the package yourself) and get it into Debian.

However that:
 * won't make it easily available to plenty of other distributions that
   also make use of libreoffice-dictionaries
 * the past decades show that maintainers for dictionaries very easily
   disappear

So, in reality, I'd recommed you to contact the LibreOffice maintainers
and ask for inclusion of your dictionary there.  It might be somewhat
slower than to have it already in Debian, but really it's not that bad
IMHO.

All this said, what language are you trying to compile a dictionary for?
Remember that, whatever you are doing, it's not going to be a one-shot
work, and likely you should already commit to maintain your dictionary
for years to come, so it's best if you already get some other person
interested in it ready to take over once you're tired of it.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

More about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :