Backporting Libreoffice to Ubuntu Precise

Hello,

I'm working in a free software group of french Ministry of Education and
I'm working at backporting libreoffice to Ubuntu Precise Pangolin.

The initial request was to have an homogeneous version of Libreoffice
across french ministries.

Some ministries paid developers to fix things and backport some patches
and they are building Microsoft binaries.

I was asked to look at building a support branch[1] for the Ubuntu LTS,
but the task is harder than I first thought.

I looked at the alioth ubuntu-saucy-4.1 branch to understand how things
are done.

My first idea was to add a “Distro-specific overrides” in the same way
there is a “WHEEZY_BACKPORT”:

    ifneq "$(shell dpkg-parsechangelog | awk '/^Distribution/ { print $$2 }')" "precise"
      BUGS=mailto:eole@ac-dijon.fr
      000_ARCHS=amd64
      SYSTEM_STUFF := $(filter-out libcmis libcdr clucene libmspub libmwaw libodfgen mdds liblangtag orcus harfbuzz libwpd libwps libwpg redland, $(SYSTEM_STUFF))
      PRECISE_BACKPORT=y
    endif

I added some “ifeq "$(PRECISE_BACKPORT)" "y"/endif” to generate a
correct debian/control but I'm stuck with some undefined
"$(PRECISE_BACKPORT)", resulting in incorrect dependencies in the
generated debian/control.

I tried with adding a line at the top of debian/rules:

    PRECISE_BACKPORT:=y

which seems to solve some issues.

After a day of looking how things works, I wonder if there is any
best-practices to make a backport package?

Regards.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://dev-eole.ac-dijon.fr/projects/libreoffice/repository/show?rev=mimo-4-1-4-2

--