Re: Boost Transitions; deprecating 1.34.1

Hi,

Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> In a nutshell: libboost-dev is deprecated and will be removed in the
> coming weeks.  In its place please build-depend on libboost1.38-dev
> (and siblings), which will be uploaded very shortly.

So 1.35 and 1.37 are OK? When are you planning to remove 1.35/1.37?

> As a result, starting with Boost 1.35: each Boost release is packaged
> in its own set of -dev packages, e.g. libboost1.37-dev,
> libboost-regex1.37-dev.  This allows each of the build-depending
> package to transition at their own schedule.  Hopefully, the
> transition is as easy as changing the Build-Depends line and
> recompiling.
>
> Although the parallel -dev packages serve to reduce the pain caused by
> each new Boost version, an explosion of boost versions is also
> difficult to manage.  The Debian boost maintainers would like to keep
> a maximum of two boost versions at any one time.  This desire is
> tempered by the fact that in the past year, Boost moved to quarterly
> releases.  Such a pace requires that everyone update their boost
> build-depends line at least twice a year.  I hope this is viewed
> as a reasonable compromise.  Your thoughts on the matter are
> appreciated.

That means that only 1.37 and 1.38 will live? OOo builds at least with 1.35
and 1.37, didn't do test the functionality once broken by a boost update, though,
will tonight.

> Note that Boost 1.38 was just released.  It is not yet uploaded but I
> hope to do so in the next day or two.  That means you won't see it for
> some time, as it must pass through the NEW queue.  In the meanwhile,
> you can use the existing Boost 1.37 packages to investigate what the
> transition means for your code.

Will do, but I guess when I will upload OOo build with 1.37 I won't switch to 1.38
that fast (especially as noone yet knows what 1.38 means for OOo)

Grüße/Regards,

René
--
 .''`.  René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73