Re: Opinions on libhyphenate (a clean rewrite of libhyphen)?

[ more or less fullquoting for upstream ]

Hi,

Steve Wolter wrote:
> after some not-so-pleasant tries to use and then to patch libhyphen
> (back then it was called libhnj) early last year, I've reimplemented
> the algorithm in C++ in a library called libhyphenate.
>
> I deem libhyphenate considerably easier to use. In addition to all
> libhyphen features, it supports system-central storage of hyphenation
> pattern files, hyphenation at all possible hyphenation points, hyphe-
> nation of text such that it optimally fits a given width (in characters)
> and hyphenation using the libhyphen-style hyphens array.
>
> In addition, it fixes the libhyphen TODO of handling UTF-8 characters
> and the not yet filed bug that, for some languages, an hyphenation-free
> zone at the start and end of each word is needed to hyphenate correctly.
>
> If you want to have a look yourself and test this (bold) claim, the
> source code can be found at:
> http://swolter.sdf1.org/libhyphenate_1-current.tar.gz
>

> In order to avoid having two libraries around doing essentially the
> same thing, I've reimplemented the public libhnj/libhyphen interface
> for libhyphenate. You can find the implementation at:
> http://swolter.sdf1.org/libhyphen-hyphenate-1.0.tar.gz
>
> What do you think of the work?

I don't think we (as the Debian maintainers) are the persons to decide
whether/when upstream will switch zo libhyphenate.

I think we should involve upstream (and the author of libhyphen) in this
(Cced)
Lazlo/tl, what you do you think of this?

> If you find it workable, I'd love to try and test whether it works
> properly in the current OpenOffice environment. If not, however,

Well, it's OpenOffice.org, but yes, you can try. If it's indeed a 1:1
replacement and you can make sure it works as intended we can think of
trying it. But I don't see the need for a hurry for it now.

> I'd like to point out that libhyphenate needs a Debian sponsor ;-).

This should be doable :)

Regards.

Rene