CPU usage when editing tables OOo 2.0.1 Writer

When an attempt is made to move data from one cell to another, add data to a cell in a way that causes the cell to expand in size, or delete a row (table is about 40 rows, 5 columns, a few cells have as many as 400-500 words, but these are the exception), CPU usage spikes for several minutes (close to 10 minutes as I am writing this), going as high as 95%.

This is not a memory problem. free shows -/+ buffers/cache 379 1141 (the system has 1.5G of RAM).

I have searched through Google, the Debian buglist, and the OOo Issues list, and see only sporadic references to CPU issues, and in Issues there is no reference that I can find to anything being done about it.

Does anyone else have this experience?
Am I missing something obvious?
Does anyone have a suggestion?

As things stand, the table is essentially unusable. It was created in OOo, saved as part of an odt file. This problem has surfaced since reloading it.

TIA

Cam

--
Cam Ellison, Ph.D. R.Psych. #1417