Re: Modification of the spell checker

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 11:05:31PM -0500, Jan Beeck wrote:
> I found that the spell checker in the openoffice is not working corretly in
> many cases. For example, when I write the word "día" (day in spanish) as dia
> (í instead of i) it suggest many words except the right one. Then I decide
> to solve this problem and I got it by using Metric Access Methods which are
> suitable for similarity information retrieval. This is the case when we need
> similar word.

Are you sure you have spanish selected as language for the document and
myspell-es dict installed?

dia

gives here as suggestions:

odia
diga
diva
diña
dial
ida
da
día
dio

including 'día'. This is done using Debian myspell-es package, which has a
more recent dict that the one at the myspell page. The Debian dict is
directly derived after the upstream espa~nol ispell dict. I am not sure if
this version change makes a difference.

> Our method is quite better than the existing one proposed by OpenOffice and
> it presents a logarithmic time to retrieve the similar words.
> Right now, we would like to contribute and add this data structure to the
> open office but I do not have idea about the structure of OO code. May you
> help me to do that?.

Openoffice uses myspell spellchecker.

  http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/

There you have some links for contacting the people behind myspell.

Cheers,

--
Agustin