Re: Test Java plugin for sid packages available for download

Hi,

Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
> For a longer-term view : until free JVMs and J2SDKs do big progress,
> Java availability cannot be a standard feature of a set of
> openoffice.org packages in main. So I see two workarounds :
>
> 1) (poor) have a set of Java-enabled openoffice.org-* packages in
> non-free (or in contrib, depending of the DFSG interpretation of your
> friendly holier-than-thou flamer of the day ...).

contrib. Because the OOo stuff isn't non-free itself, it only needs
non-free Java.. And that is exactly what we are trying to do with
openoffice.org-java. openoffice.org-java is this Java enabled package in
contrib enabling the openoffice.org in main making use of Java...

> 2) (better but much harder) : have the Java-free version of
> openoffice.org *able* to use java extensions, but not requiring it.

Not possible. Since those possibility requires to build with Java
(Suns/Blackdowns/etc.) which will put the entire office suite into
contrib because it needs non-free stuff to build. Disabling that
disables the Java support too..

> Do you have any plans about this problem ?

The current plan is -java and sometime in the future building/using OOo
with free JDKs (gcj, kaffe, ...)

Grüße/Regards,

René
--
 .''`.  René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73