Re: missing java support in default debian OOo package

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 23. November 2004 12:52 schrieb Ines Pfauch:
> I wanted to ask why there is no java support in the default debian OOo
> package.

Because everything in Debian main (= free[1] software) has to be able to run
and build with free software alone. Since the Java features in OOo need
non-free Java to build, using that capavility would kick us out of the
official Debian distribution (= Debian main) but putting us back into Debian
contrib. And since OOo doesn't build with free JDKs yet....

> I am currently programming a java-addon for openoffice. And I (or
> rather the company) think it would be better for the users of the addon
> if there were java support in the default debian OOo package...

We think so too. But unless those parts of OOo become buildable with free JDKs
(and *not* the non-free sun/blackdown/ibm ones) it is not possible without
having to get into contrib again (where we got out with 1.1.0-2 where we got
OOo to build withoInes Pfauch <ines@skyrix.com>ut non-free Java but disabling
the functionality in the main package..). And we *do* want to be able to be
in the official Debian GNU/Linux distribution...

Regards,

Rene

[1] free as in freedom, http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
--
 .''`.  René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73