Re: OpenOffice.org and fonts

Am Montag, 19. Juli 2004 11:39 schrieb Chris Halls:
> Hi,

Hi,

thanks for your answer.  Especially, the config file excerpt you posted was
very useful.

> On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 23:15, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> > I use woody and the OpenOffice.org 1.1.1 packages from
> >     deb ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/debian-openoffice stable-test main
> > contrib. I want to use fonts for screen display as well as printing.
> >
> > Do I have to install the respective fonts for X11 *and* for GhostScript?
> > If yes, isn't it poor to have two copies of each font on my harddisk?
>
> I don't know, and this isn't related to OpenOffice so perhaps you could
> try looking at the GhostScript documentation.

I don't agree with you.  The question is, in fact, OpenOffice.org-related.
The answer to the above question depends on the mechanisms, OpenOffice.org
choses to display text on the screen and on the printer.  Does it use X11's
text display mechanisms for screen display?  Does it provide the font
outlines to the underlying printing system (containing GhostScript) or does
it rely on the fonts installed in GhostScript?

What happens if I chose a font which is not registered with Defoma but is a
font from some of the xfonts-* packages?  How is it printed?  Does
GhostScript need to have the same font installed?

> [...]

> Chris

Wolfgang